OSU Faculty & Staff International Travel Processing FAQs

Why do I need to be registered with the US Department of State?

The purpose of the Online Travel Registration form is to notify the U.S Department of State embassy and consular that you are abroad and in the event of an emergency may need assistance a U.S. citizen or employee traveling abroad. The US embassy should then be able to assist you in such situations. However, while this free registration service is provided and recommended by IS&O, you may decline providing the information for registration.

Can I be registered with the Department of State if I am not a US citizen?

Although the State Department Travel Registration via the online Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) refers to providing services for US citizens, all faculty, staff or others traveling on behalf of OSU will be registered on the site at the time their OSU Travel Request is processed, regardless of nationality. We are happy to provide this service to everyone traveling on behalf of OSU.

Is the OSU international travel insurance policy applicable anywhere in the world?
The policy is applicable anywhere in the world except:
  • In the United States of America including its territories and possessions and Puerto Rico;
  • Any country or jurisdiction which is the subject of trade or economic sanctions imposed by the laws or regulations of the United States of America; and
  • Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Brazil, Chad, Chechnya, Colombia, Cuba, Democratic Republic of Congo, Georgia, Haiti, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Liberia, Libya, Mexico, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, East Timor, Russia, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Trinidad & Tobago, Venezuela, Yemen, Zimbabwe
Do I have to fill out an international travel request to pay for travel expenses or to reimburse an international guest to OSU?

Yes. International visitors whose visit is being funded by OSU should also have an international travel request submitted on their behalf.

What about medical Insurance?

OSU’s Blue Cross Blue Shield medical insurance coverage for employees does provide international coverage. Before you travel, check for approved BCBS providers in the area you will be visiting. You can search international providers by location at http://www.bcbs.com/already-a-member/coverage-home-and-away.html.

The OSU travel insurance plan also offers emergency medical assistance, but is not available in the countries listed above. For more information on coverage, refer to the travel insurance certificate and contact information provided in your approved travel request packet.